Friday 12 February 2010

Dried apricot couscous salad

I participate in an online forum and one of the topics that you can post in is 'What's for dinner tonight?' I like this topic because sometimes when you have NO idea what to make, you can get some ideas. One day someone commented that they were making couscous. I find my couscous to be really boring, so I asked if anyone had suggestions on how to prepare it. One woman posted this recipe for a couscous salad and I decided to give it a go. DELICIOUS!!! I like that it's really easy to tweak to your tastes. I have posted here the exact recipe she gave, but I made some changes. I'm not a huge fan of mint and one cup was way too much. I only used 5 large leaves and it was perfect. I also only used one clove of garlic since it was going to be raw in the salad. We love garlic and this was plenty! You can leave it out if you don't like garlic.

I think this salad would also be delicious with dried cranberries instead of the apricots. I'm going to try that next time!

1 1/2 c water
1 1/2 c couscous
10 dried apricots, chopped
3/4 c sliced almonds, toasted
3 tbsp lemon juice
3 green onions, green parts only, chopped
1 c fresh mint, chopped
2 handfuls cilantro, chopped
2 cloves garlic, minced
2 tbsp lemon zest
1 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
salt to taste

1. Prepare the couscous by boiling the water and pouring it over the couscous, covering it with plastic wrap. All it to sit for 10-15 minutes. Uncover and fluff with a fork.

2. In a large bowl, mix together all the ingredients, then gently fold in the couscous, oil, and salt.

Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment